Friday, October 21, 2011

Author Interview: Stephanie Campbell: Part 1

Today, I'm interviewing Stephanie Campbell who is also know as Ronnie Toll, one of her characters.  I can never identify that closely with my characters, but mine tend to be non-humans.  Steph's (or Ronnie's) new book is called Poachers.

First off, as a way of introduction, I am going to ask you why I am asking you these interview question?

I'm not one hundred percent sure. I fear that I may have stumbled here by mistake. Looks around anxiously. Is that an alien? 
No, just kidding. I am here to pretend that this interview isn't a cleverly disguised way to talk about my new book, Poachers.

I see that you like to write comedy. Do you "get in the comedy mood" before you write?

Nope. I'm just funny naturally. At least, I am under the impression that I am funny naturally. Of course, chances are good that people are laughing at my apparent lack of common sense rather than my jokes, but who's to say?

Do you work people that you hate into your novels?

Not really. I relay the emotions that people create in me in my novels. I'll deliberately make myself depressed in order to get a dramatic scene if need be.

Say you are REALLY hungry. Do you find a way to write about food in your books?
Oh yes. I outline my books deliberately, but if you see any reference to food in my books, chances are good that it was a half an hour until lunch time when I was writing the scene and that I was desperate for some goodies. 
Do you do anything really weird to prepare for writing? 
I have a very set schedule. I get up at 7:45 and go for a nice, relaxing run and then begin my writing day. I also set aside schedules to do each thing, like editing and writing and querying.

Are you as funny in real life as you are in your books?
I would like to think so. You'd have to ask the people around me. I'm pretty sure that 75% of the world thinks I'm nuts more than funny, but that's my own guess. Laughs.
Are you a people person?
I am a bi-polar person. I will go in my cave to write, and then I have moments where all I want to do is socialize. I can get distant, though. I have a rule where I must leave my house at least one day a week to socialize, even during my “closeted” writing stages. 
What is your favorite book?
Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer. I have never met a more complex and amazing character as Artemis Fowl. I mean, he's an evil genius, but you want him to win! The tables are totally flipped from the norm. I love it!

If you had the choice between meeting a famous author and meeting Penelope Cruz, who would you choose to meet?
An author, unless it was Viggo Mortenson. Sighs dreamily. Dear Viggo, when will you realize that I am your true love. 
Some writers have weird quirks. Jack London even pretended to be a wolf and ate raw meat. Do you have weird quirks?
Oh yeah. Some people don't know this about me, but I take on the personality of whoever it is I am writing about. It used to be a subconscious, but I guess it's conscious now that I realize that I'm doing it. I just can't stop. I get angry if I'm an angry character, and I get nuts if I'm writing a nuts character...though I suppose the fact that I method write so completely that I act like my characters is “nuts.” Also, I get emotional with my characters.
Finally, the question the separates the men from the boys. If you were a fruit, what kind of fruit would you be? Why?
Mmmm. A nectarine. It's my favorite fruit. I would then eat myself, and the world would be a better place.

Book Bio:
Ronnie Toll has never played with other kids. He's never slept soundly throughout the night, turned a corner without checking first, or laughed for the sake of laughing. All Ronnie knows is a world of shadows and monsters. His mother and father, Marion and Leon, are the only ones by his side. But all that is about to change when his mother is murdered by the monsters that only he can see. With his only safe haven crumbling around him, Ronnie becomes a poacher for the other side to help protect human civilization as he knows it. The problem is, he’s taking on more than he bargained for when he tangles with creatures that are larger than life—and himself. 
About Me:
Stephanie Campbell had her first book, Until We Meet Again, published at the age of seventeen. Now, at twenty, she is still wacking away at her computer, one day at a time. When she isn't reading or writing, she likes to dance, take karate lessons, and run. After all, you never know when you're about to be sucked into another world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment